Yep – Curcubita pepo – and yes they are fruits not vegetables because they have seeds.
Jamie Oliver’s vegepedia has some great recipes to try when they are ready in June/July!!!
READY, STEADY, GROW
- Sow seeds in compost in April/May
- Keep plantlets indoors until end May
- Plant outdoors in a border OR in a carrier bag full of soil/compost if you are short of space
- You should get 3 or 4 Curcubita Pepos a week 😳😳🌱❤️
For more advice on planting and growing go to the RHS
GROW UP (vertical gardening)
Grow courgettes vertically to save space and increase yield
- Tie the stem to a wooden stake as it grows
- Use garden twine, securing it about every 10cm
- Cut off all lower leaves so it focusses growing on the courgettes
- Harvest frequently!
See this video for more details
- Courgettes contain very few calories and have a high water content
- They provide useful amounts of immune system-boosting vitamin C and significant levels of potassium, which is key to controlling blood pressure
- The soluble fibre in the skin slows down digestion and so stabilises blood sugar and insulin levels
- Soluble fibre also helps prevent constipation and relieves irritable bowel symptoms.