Egg shells make perfect seedling homes!!
Cosy plantlet nurseries 😍
- Gently tap the top of an egg
- Tip out the inside
- Make a small drainage hole at the bottom of the shell with a pin
- Fill with compost
- Plant with cress seeds or a sprig of herbs or…well…anything!!
- Rest on a bottle top
Run out of compost or growing medium? Raid the bathroom!
Propagate your seeds on cotton wool, cleansing pads, toilet paper, tissues etc
- Sprinkle little seeds* on damp tissue
- Bed bigger seeds* in a cotton wool nest
- Keep warm and wet
- Harvest your Micro Greens when about 4cm tall
*Try out a variety – basil, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, celery, chard, chervil, coriander, kale, lettuce, mustard, parsley, peas, radish, rocket, spinach….
Remember Carrot Tops? Don’t stop there!!!
You can regrow carrots, beetroots, parsnips, celery and spring onions (I reckon they are the quickest and the best) for free food!!!
- Slice the top off any root vegetable or the bottom off a spring onion
- Put in about 2cm of water or on a bed of soil
- Keep wet and watch it grrroooowwww🌱
Turns out cress is mustard 🤩
This fast-growing superfood is packed with vitamins and antioxidants
Read all about it!
- Scatter seeds on a damp surface – tissue, cotton wool, cleansing pad, paper towel…
- Keep damp
- Harvest in about 7 days!
Save waste coffee and the bag
Give seedlings a cosy coffee house 🌱🏠
- Put cold waste coffee back in the bag
- Put drainage holes in the bottom
- Pop in seeds (I used sunflowers)
- Keep warm & damp
- Plant sunflower out when it’s bigger
A cosy home for cress seeds
Each free pack contains 6 radish seeds.
Relish ravishing radishes!
- Fill old packaging with soil/compost
- Plant seeds 1cm deep and 3cm apart
- Keep warm and moist
- Harvest in just 4 weeks
- Relish your radishes
For more radishy info go to RHS
Running out of compost?
Start peas in a tea bag!
The perfect pea starter home
- Snip top off a used tea bag
- Pop in dried peas
- Keep moist
- Plant out when big enough
We all have lots of free thyme…
Take thyme for someone you love.
- You COULD grow from a seed…
- …but easier to separate a bigger plant into plantlets
- Fabulous herb – hardy, evergreen and versatile
Parsley the Lion a blast from the past 🦁
Turn ONE parsley pot from the supermarket into TEN
Have free, unlimited parsley all year long 🌱
- Carefully divide up a pot of supermarket parsley
- Put plantlets into new pots (they like ice-cream)
- Cut stems from base of plant – it will grow back bushier
ONE parsley plant
TEN parsley plants
Made like no other
On your marks. Get set. Onion.
Plant super-cute onion-lets 🧅in April and watch them grow……
- Prepare a lovely flat bed
- Plant onions sets 10cm apart in rows 30cm apart
- Leave tips showing and protect from 🐦
- OR cover with 2cm soil
- Water well
- Harvest in autumn when leaves go brown
For better instructions than mine (!) go to Gardeners’ World